Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy, happy birthday, Deano















I totally had a waffle with a candle in it this morning!

I have literally written this post a million times in my head and in "draft" form. I've read my favorite bloggers' archives to see how they put into mere words what they were feeling on their babies' first birthdays. I could say a million mushy things, but I won't. I will say that on this day last year, a little boy entered my life and my heart has been his ever since. With each passing day and each milestone, each smile and giggle, each new discovery, each goodnight hug, I love him more and more. When you're falling in love with someone, the rest of the world seems to fall away. I remember when Marcus and I were first together, we'd talk for hours about nothing in particular. Neither of us could tell you what any of those conversations were actually about, but they were some of the most important times in our relationship because they helped us learn about each other and about how we would function together. There have been times this year when the rest of the universe has seemed to fade away, leaving just our little family of three, or some days, just Dean and me. Watching the world through his eyes has been amazing.
Words are starting to fail me and Dean REALLY wants me to read his birthday book to him (again), so I leave you with my very first video montage. I was going to set it to a sappy song, but then decided to use one of Dean's favorite dancing songs, "I'm On My Way" by the Proclaimers from the Shrek 2 Soundtrack. (I think he likes it when they say "uh, huh.")


Happy first birthday, Deano. I love you to pieces.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm NEVER reading this blog again on a "special posting day". You made me cry at work.

What can I say. I have the world's greatest grandson AND daughter.

I am very, very blessed. Happy birthday Deano. You da' man.

Love,

Papa

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute!
I loved that song with the pics, they worked great together. Happy Birthy Dean!!!

Love
Auntie M

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Jen. What a year it's been! I'm so thankful to be Dean's Grammy. You and Marcus are wonderful parents. We have so many blessings to count, it would take years!

Love,
J

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

So, so sweet! And you did a great job on the monkey cake!

Bethany

AJU5's Mom said...

I love the video montage! It was a perfect length (unlike the one my husband made that is over 10 minutes... not web appropriate).

Way to survive one year of motherhood!

Diane said...

That was SO sweet and you have the cutest little boy baby ever (I can say that because I had a little girl ;).

Thanks for your note on my blog today!! You know how much I love Heather, so any family of hers, is family of mine (seriously, because her mom is adopting me... she's just dragging her heels... I can't figure out why... maybe you could nudge her along...?)