ANYWAY, I always enjoy doing recipe posts because sometimes it prompts folks to send me recipes of their own. Which I love. So keep sending them! It also saves me the bother of writing down new recipes, then losing them. I can just go to my archives! After the blandy mcbland turkey meatball recipe I posted earlier this week, which are quite tasty when mixed into tomato sauce, I thought I should give you something with a little more pizazz. So why don't we start Comfort Food Saturday? I'll try to provide a good, comforting recipe each weekend that won't break the bank. (And I realize some of our banks are more about saving calories than saving money!)
Here's one of my favorite snack recipes. I could eat an entire bowl of this stuff RIGHT NOW.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (recommended: Ro-Tel)
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle Italian dressing
- 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimentos, drained
Some notes about this recipe:
If you hate black-eyed peas, use black beans instead!
If you hate spicy food, use a regular can of diced tomatoes instead of Ro-Tels and omit the jalapeno. Maybe add some green bell pepper for color.
Use fat free Italian dressing or the Wishbone "Just 2 Good" dressing which has only 2 grams of fat. Those dressings tend to have more chunks in them, which adds to the yum factor of this recipe.
This is great for pot-lucks. Enjoy!