Thursday, February 19, 2009

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here in the Haz Mat suit

Marcus is sick with what can only be described as "The Crud." Apparently that is a medical term here in Alabama. It's what the urgent care doctor told me I had last time I was sick. The Crud. And one of our co-workers thinks she has the shingles. Half our students have pneumonia or some version of the dreaded Crud. Welcome to February in Alabama! 70 degrees one minute 21 the next. And how 'bout those 50 mph winds and tornadoes? Good times, I say, good times.

I'm currently obsessed with the idea of keeping myself and Dean healthy. I chugged a big glass of juice today and shoved countless Zicam swabs up my nose. I even gave Dean two servings of juice water. (All "the stuff" I've read about juice and obesity and aaaaaaaaah, evil suuuuuuuuuugaaaaaaaaaarrrr has sufficiently freaked me out, so I give Dean 1 part juice to 2 parts water. It's just how I roll. Yet I let him eat Gerber baby fruit roll ups. Go figure.) Anyway, we are all up on our vitamin C now.

I knew Marcus was really sick when he asked me to call in and let the secretary know he wouldn't be teaching class OR having rehearsal today. Usually he'll just try to push through. Not so much today. He got up long enough to eat some Fruity Pebbles and sit with Dean while I showered and got ready for work. When I came downstairs, they were watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Well, watching is a generous way to describe it. Dean doesn't really watch it per se, he mostly just plays til the Hot Dog Dance comes on, then goes nuts. Marcus was conked out on the couch and Dean had his little hand on his Daddy's knee. It was kind of the cutest thing I've ever seen. As I got closer, I understood just how clogged Marcus's nose must be because MY GOD the poop. I quickly took Dean up for fresh pants and dragged Marcus back to bed. Once he was settled, I closed our bedroom door and sealed it with Lysol. Oh, yes, I did.

I do not want to get sick. I will not get sick. (knocks frantically on wooden tray table) I deny the existence of The Crud. And now I go to stick another Zicam swab up my nose and chug one more glass of juice before I settle in for the night. In our guest room.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally am starting to feel sick. Yuck!

I tried taking EmergenC. Now I am trying bourbon.

Anonymous said...

Boy, I hope you and Dean don't get the Crud. And, yes, they do call anything they can't diagnose, "The Crud" in the South. We hear it all the time. So much for medical science.

Don't OD on Zicam!

Love you,
J

Heather said...

Oh, the dreaded Crud. Yes, that is a technical term down here. Don't you love it?
Good luck in your battle to stay well. I hope it works!! And tell Marcus I hope he feels better soon.
P.S. I totally miss you guys. I think I'm going to come up one weekend soon. Work for you?

Surprised Suburban Wife said...

Zicam? What on earth is Zicam?

And Marcus may not really be stuffed up - Brad often "doesn't smell" poop, even in perfect health:)

Stay healthy!

AJU5's Mom said...

I have heard it referred to as the crud - and I have never lived in Alabama...
Hopefully the Lysol/Zicam/Vitamin C combo will keep you and Dean sick.
If you wanted to take it one step farther, you could wear masks!

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

Just don't get stressed out about being sick -- it weakens your immune system. Ironic, huh?