Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Well, baby

Dean had his 9-month well baby visit today. Here are his stats:
Weight: 20 lbs. 11 oz.
Height: 27 3/4 inches
Head: 18 1/4 inches
He is a healthy, happy little guy. He got a flu shot, so the happy may wear off later tonight, but so far, he's ok.

On the way home (hold onto your hats) we got rear-ended. Those of you who have followed my blog for a while may remember the last time I got rear-ended in July. That time, I was in the middle, crunched between a Stratus and a Mini-van. (The guy who hit me fled the scene and we've heard nothing ever since.) Today, I was sitting still on the highway, waiting to turn ONTO MY OWN STREET. There was a lot of traffic coming from the other direction, so we were sitting there for a while, Dean starting to fuss because he was hungry. Suddenly, I heard it. SLAM, SLAM, and felt it SLAM. Compared to last time, the bump was nothing, but the sheer horror was much worse because this time I had a passenger. Fortunately, Dean started crying immediately, so I knew he was ok enough to yell. I pulled over and jumped out of the car to get to him. When I opened the door to the backseat, he saw me and giggled. Then he started trying to climb out of his carseat. I got him out, which I wasn't sure was the right thing to do or not, but I NEEDED to hold my baby. The guy from the third car had it worse. He came toward us, worried about Dean, but I noticed he had a big red mark on his head. I told him not to move, remembering my bout with whiplash. By the time the EMTs and police got there, he had to be put in a neck stabilizer and strapped to a gurney. The man behind me also had to go to the hospital. Four different EMTs checked Dean out and he's just fine, Thank God. I called Marcus, who was in class at the time, and he got to us quite quickly (yay, small towns, and thank you Zach for driving him!). Anyway, we're both fine. Our car isn't so fine. The bumper had to be completely taken off and the car looks even worse than before. (Our car's 11 years old and has kind of been through the ringer lately.)

Needless to say, this is not how we wanted to spend our day. Or our money, since we'll almost certainly be needing a new car. Ugh. I'm looking forward to getting the accident report (in 3-6 days) to see if the guy who started it all was drunk. I have a bad feeling he was. At 9:45am.
But the bottom line is that Dean's ok and that is truly all that matters.


Heather said...

Glad you are both okay! :)

SSU said...

Glad you are okay!
Lucky Dean - he now gets a new car seat at the expense of insurance!

Surprised Suburban Wife said...

Yuck! Glad you're ok...and enjoy (?) shopping for the new carseat. I can NEVER just buy one baby item when I shop:)

Also - 20 lbs? GO DEAN!