Friday, December 19, 2008

Still tickin', but we did take a lickin'

Well hi there! Remember me? We have been in DC this week (we're here til early Mon. morning) and computer access has been very limited. I haven't gotten brave enough (or dexterous enough!) to blog on my phone yet, but I'm sure that day will come soon. Anyway, we're having a lovely visit with the family. Dean loves hanging out with his big cousin, Adam. I would post pictures of them, but they seem to have hidden my camera somewhere. I plan to rummage through the couch cushions in a minute in an effort to find it.

Marcus and I went out the other day to do some shopping. It was fun to browse without a stroller, though I missed my little constant companion. The phone rang while we were in Borders. It was my mother in law calling to tell me that Dean had tried to impress her with his stunt-man abilities and had fallen off the bed and hit his head. The next 2 minutes are a blur of me dropping everything in my hands, searching for Marcus and trying to remember the name of our medical insurance. We got to the ER about an hour after they'd called and found Dean sitting happily in Grandmama's lap, HUGE goose-egg on his forehead, reading Pinnochio. He looks like he got into a fight and lost. Poor guy. We stayed for three hours of observation and were declared "Just fine" and sent home. In the meantime, Dean decided to impress the nurses with an amazingly stinky poop. And, naturally, we didn't have a single diaper. Fortunately, they had a loaner. It's always an adventure, isn't it?
Those of you who know me will notice that I am writing about this incident three days after it happened and am, therefore, able to have a good sense of humor about it. Because the day it happened? BASKETCASE!

We had a little birthday party for Adam and Dean the other night since they won't get to celebrate their actual birthdays together, and it was lots of fun. Dean tasted cake for the first time, and by tasted, I mean smeared icing in my hair and all over his dad's sweater. Adam eats like a champ and used a big boy fork for his cake. When I saw Adam for the first time this visit, (we haven't seen them since August) I teared up. I cannot believe Dean will be that big this time next year. Adam is a sweetheart and has taken quite a liking to his Auntie Jen. (Which doesn't thrill her AT ALL, let me tell you.;) )

We'll be doing family Christmas tomorrow, which should be a fun time full of babies in boxes wearing bows on their heads. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some couch cushions to rifle through so that I may take photos of said family Christmas!!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Yay! You're still alive!! I'm glad y'all are having a good time!!
So Dean has a future as a stunt man, huh?? Good grief! I bet you were freaking out. Poor Deano. I'm glad he's okay!!
Anyway, get to finding that camera so we have lots of pictures to look at later!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, find that camera so we can see lots of pictures of Dean and Adam with bows on their heads! Can't wait to see y'all Monday.

J

Anonymous said...

Glad Dean's okay, Had a similar incident when Chase was about two, he fell and hit his forehead on the corner of the bed frame - he too, had an egg shaped bump - scary, but all was well. Have a safe flight back to your Mom's and give everyone hugs from me. Merry Christmas.

Love,
Auntie M

Hotch Potchery said...

Oh, poor baby. My nephew had a rough day the other day as well, boys and their injuries!

AJU5's Mom said...

Poor Dean!

Luckily the hospital has diapers though (although I don't know if they wanted you to borrow it or use it... would they want it back?)

Surprised Suburban Wife said...

Dean is a lucky boy for escaping unharmed - it's absolutely amazing how many scrapes and falls and bumps babies take without serious injury isn't it?
Now go find that camera. We are waiting for a picture of Dean in a box with a bow on his head. Or you. Whatever.